to hope for; to wish for; feel or express a strong desire or hope for something that is not easily attainable; want something that cannot or probably will not happen.
Etymology: from Old French sohaider, from Gallo-Roman Latin *subtus-haitare “promise with little commitment”, a hybrid of Latin subtus “under” + Frankish *haitan "to order, promise".
John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836-1893)
1. Boar Lane, Leeds, by lamplight (1881)
2. Park Row,Leeds (1882)
3. Southwaark Bridge from Blackfriar’s (1882)
4. Old Chelsea
5. A moonlit lane (1874)
6. Shipping on the Clyde (1881)
7. Humber Docks, Hull (1884)
8. In Peril (The Harbour Flare)(1879)
9. Nightfall on the Thames (1880)